Monday, April 20, 2015

Help Me Understand AR

Remember this post about seeing you child's AR progress at home?  And this one about how AR is being tracked and assessed?

Sometimes you'll hear a student say, "I've met my points goal, but not my percentage goal."  Or maybe they say, "I have my percentage, but not my points goal."  WHAT DOES THIS MEAN?

Think about it as a grade.  The AR tests that students take are averaged together, just like other grades.  They need to have at least an 85%.   Points goals and book levels are determined by a test the students take.  Each of them have their own goal and book level based on their ability. (The students might describe their level as "colors I can check out."  Books are leveled by color to help students when checking out in the Media Center.)  This means that every child has a goal that they can reach!

Here's an example of having one goal, but not the other.  Don't forget...the ATOS book level tells you what level your child is reading on.  (In this example the child is reading on a 3rd grade, 3rd month level.  Meaning the 3rd month of the 3rd grade.  The absolute MINIMUM students should be at for this point in the school year is 4.7.)

Remember...this is all available on your phone or tablet!  It doesn't take a home computer to get this information!